.

.

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Organs! - New Amsterdam Market



When we were trying to decide which cuts of veal to take with us to the New Amsterdam Market I thought there might be some slim chance that we'd sell some 'organ meat'. Who would have thought that we'd sell out of tongue, sweet breads, cheeks, etc. and return home with some lovely standing rib roasts. This morning I found a recent post by an un-identified blogger from Brooklyn. His story is cute...

If I wasn't already psyched about this market after the oysters, this did it. The fine folks from St. Brigid's Farm in Maryland came all the way up here to sell their meat, including tons of off cuts that made me incredibly happy.
They had me at Sweetbreads for $3. My jaw dropped. I've never seen Sweetbreads available anywhere but on a menu. I almost got them and still sort of wish I had, but I wasn't going ot have the time to devote to learning new cuts that evening, so I passed.
Instead, I bought veal cheeks and a veal tongue. I braised them both, cooking the cheeks in a mixture of veal stock and veal demiglace. The tongue I simmered in rich pork stock. Mmmm.
This is definitely something I've never seen at the Greenmarket:

1 comment:

Chesapeake Foodie Blog said...

extremely cool! You guys rock! Now I'm going to have to learn how to do sweetbreads...or maybe can coerce Glenn into teaching me.

Best, Love it!

Elise at Chesapeake Foodie