.

.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

My First Jersey

In 1969, I was a 12 year old 4-H member who was tired of losing to the fancy Holsteins I was showing my home grown calves against. I decided I wanted a Jersey and bought one at the sealed bid auction at the Litchfield County (CT) 4-H Fair for $157. I borrowed $10 from my younger sister who claimed the tail until I paid her back. My new calf was named Peet Farm Julhous Rita but we called her Jersey. Briggs and Beth Cunningham, who had a farm in Kent, Connecticut, were the generous donors of Rita. I adored Beth Cunningham!! She had strawberry blond hair, loads of freckles and was always smiling. Thus began my life long love of the Jersey cow.

This week, the Worton Elementary School’s kindergarten class visited the farm . Lo and behold, one of the delightful students on the field trip was Braydon Michael Wallace, the Cunningham's great grandson! Small world!!

1 comment:

Sam said...

I absolutely love Jersey cows! I was in 4-H growing up and still show cattle at Junior shows, however, we have beef cattle. I just think that Jerseys look so fancy and petite! I want one!